Wednesday 4 November 2015

See why the entrance to your retail store should shout about your claim to fame

I'm in a local garden centre today and as I walk through the first aisle from the entrance to the café I am a little dumbstruck. I walk no more than 40 yards and I am confronted by-
  • Christmas decorations
  • Alcoholic drinks
  • Books
  • DVD's
  • CD's
  • Jigsaws
  • Toys
  • Food items
  • Non-alcoholic drinks
And then the café itself


I'm struck by a retailer that doesn't really know what it wants to be and what it stands for. I've used this phrase in my blogs before and it means so much-

Decide what you want to become famous for.

Now I'm not talking about the celebrity type of fame that seems to float the boat of so many people today. I'm talking about the famous part of your retail business that customers will talk about and return for. It's been referred to as your USP or your diffetentiator and it's what makes you a success. Woolworths was the prime example to me of a retailer that didn't know what it wanted to be. It tried to be all things to all people and became unimportant to many. I've also blogged about Tesco trying to do everything but ending up doing everything worse than their rivals-


I don't necessarily think that a retailer shouldn't sell more than one type of product, but the initial message should scream from the rooftops about what you stand for. This retailer I'm in today states that "we do all sorts of stuff." It's not a sparkling message.

Looking around the garden centre, there are places of interest, areas where they do stand out from the competition. The café is very busy and the food looks great quality. The Christmas decorations are vibrant and have a great mark-up. The indoor plants are well-priced and different varieties to other garden centres I've been in. One of these areas should be the absolute focus of the attention as the part of the business that leads customers to walk through the door and return.

For your own business you need to look at what you are doing and make a decision. The decision needs to be around what you think you should be famous for. Once you (and your team) know what this is then position your store so it talks to your customers in those terms-

"Mr and Mrs customer, this is what we do."


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any comments or questions about my blog then please let me know via the comments section.